Friday, October 07, 2005

High Touch

Brand Autopsy is running a series about Starbucks and how their brand became what is it today.

High Touch trumps High Tech. It’s a great thing to remember as I continue to do ministry.

Doug Fields Says the same thing in Your First Two years in Youth Ministry.

90% of youth ministry is relationships. The kids won’t remember my best message. They’ll remember that I loved them and hung out with them, and was a good example for them.

Starbucks tried to go high tech, and the audience response was negative. The personal element was lost when the customer was able to order without talking to a barista.

Is the personal element lost when we go too high tech in Youth ministry? I am sure God uses High Tech. I just don’t want to get lost in the glitz and glam.

I know about smoke and mirrors – I am in radio!!

Do we do High Tech because the pressure is there to try and impress?
Are we High Tech to ‘keep up with the Jones’? (the Jones’ being the big church down the street)

I actually like High Tech. I like a good performance, and a good message. I believe in Creativity with presentation, not in interpretation, of the Word.

There does have to be a balance. Right?
Because people desire High Touch.

No comments: